This session is designed to give learners a better understanding of these emerging products and their place in the biologic-based drug therapies. Topics covered included similarities between biosimilar and innovator biological products, evolving clinical evidence of their use, their economic impact, and the important role of pharmacists to support a viable biosimilar market in Canada among others. At the end of the webinar, learners will be equipped with the knowledge and tools to engage and inform eligible and appropriate patients in a conversation to start or transition to a biosimilar product.
Overview of the Webinar
The program outline and topics covered include the following:
Pharmacist Opportunities with Biosimilars – Derek Desrosiers
- Understand regulator interchangeability recommendations in Canada and the USA
- Understand possible implications for consideration when switching from a biologic to a biosimilar
- Know that some evidence exists to support interchangeability in specific circumstances
- Understand the steps to take in making a switch and the role of the pharmacist in the interchangeability process
Preclinical Requirements for Approval & Development: The Science of Quality by Design – Ismael Samudio
- Explain how biosimilarity is exemplified for a protein biologic
- Explain the relevance of each biosimilarity parameter to the therapeutic characteristics of the protein biologic
Biosimilars: Research & Clinical Update – Dr. John M. Esdaile
- Provide an overview of biosimilars research and clinical updates
- Review current data on “switching” from originators to their biosimilars
- Provide insights on “real world” clinical experience with biosimilars
- Provide summary of key clinical perspective “takeaways”
Where the Biosimilars Rubber Hits the Road – With Patients – Cheryl Koehn
- Provide an overview of biosimilar policies in the EU, USA and Canada
- Explaining and Mitigating the biosimilar “Nocebo” effect
- Uncovering the societal benefits of biosimilars
- The biosimilars transition conversation – key questions and information pieces patients want
This live webinar is accredited by CCCEP for 2.0 CEUs (file # 1092-2018-2537-I-P).
Registration Information (Members)
This event is complimentary to members. Click on the link below to start the webinar.