Pharmacist Health Coaching: Diabetes Program
Together with Green Shield Canada (GSC), the BCPhA has launched a new diabetes management program for beneficiaries of BCPhA’s group extended health care (EHC) plan. Pharmacists must successfully complete training through the Diabetes Health Coaching Program to offer this service to patients.
Pharmacists will also be compensated for their services by GSC (only when the service is delivered to patients who meet the eligibility criteria as outlined below): $80 for the initial consultation and $30 for each follow-up, to a maximum of three follow-up consultations per year. The goal of this program is to empower patients diagnosed with type 2 diabetes to take ownership and responsibility for their overall diabetes control and engage pharmacists to:
- Provide guidance and support to patients to improve glycemic control
- Implement strategies that help improve patient adherence to diabetes drug therapy
- Offer effective coaching and follow-up to help patients adopt healthy lifestyle behaviors that will positively impact their diabetes and overall health
Who qualifies for this service?
This new service will be available for patients who meet the following criteria:
- Have extended health coverage through BCPhA’s group Extended Health Care (EHC) plan, adjudicated by GSC,
- Are treated with a diabetes drug regimen that includes at least one qualifying drug from the categories below:
- Alpha-glucosidase Inhibitors
- Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitors
- Glucagon Like Peptide-1 Agonists
- Insulin Secretagogues (sulfonylureas or meglitinides)
- Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors
This program is CCCEP accredited for 3.0 CEUs.
CCCEP Number: 1301-2016-1768-I-P, expires July 21, 2019.
Course author: Elaine Cooke
The learner must complete the following:
- All four modules must be completed.
i. Overview of Diabetes
ii. Overview of Current Recommendations for Pharmacological Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes
iii. Overview of Non-pharmacological Measures to Manage Type 2 diabetes
iv. Communication Skills to Promote Patient Self-Management
- Final assessment is completed and submitted online. You must score 70% or higher.
- The evaluation form must be completed and submitted. You will be notified by email of your results with instructions on how to obtain your certificate.
PLEASE ALLOW FOR 1-2 BUSINESS DAYS FOR COURSE ACTIVATION AFTER PURHCASE.
Member price: $50 and non-member price: $150 plus GST. Once your enrollment for this course is complete, you will receive an enrollment email to confirm the course availability.