Temporary Limited Pharmacist and Limited Pharmacist

Updated on March 29, 2021 (Originally posted on April 9, 2020) In The News, Student News

Whether you are a pharmacy student in first to third year or a fourth year about to graduate, you can join the frontlines in community pharmacy today.

Who qualifies?

Who qualifies as a temporary limited pharmacist or limited pharmacist?

After you graduate from the UBC PharmD program this year, you will no longer be eligible to remain a Student Pharmacist Registrant, but as there are no Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) exams scheduled you will not be eligible for the Full Pharmacist Registration category either. 

As a graduate who has not completed the PEBC exam, you will be eligible to register as a Temporary Limited Pharmacist or Limited Pharmacist however.

Before graduation, you will remain a Student Pharmacist Registrant.

What is this new Temporary Registrant category?

The Provincial Health Officer requested all health regulators to begin emergency registration due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the College of Pharmacists of BC has amended the Health Professions Act bylaws pertaining to Temporary Registrants in order to ensure there is enough support in pharmacies during this health emergency. Learn more.

Scope of Practice:

Temporary Limited Pharmacist and Limited Pharmacist can practice to the same scope as a full pharmacist, but only under the supervision of a full pharmacist approved by the registration committee for that purpose.

What is the difference between a temporary limited and limited pharmacist?

The Temporary Registrant category is only available when activated by the College registrar in response to a crisis.  Once the crisis is deemed over, those under the Temporary Registrant will no longer be registered. 

The other major difference is that there are no College registration fees for the Temporary Registrant categories, while the Limited Pharmacist fee is $739 per year. 

Insurance Coverage

There is a general misconception that since you are under direct supervision of a full pharmacist registrant that you have insurance through that pharmacist’s insurance coverage.  This is not the case.  When you are on a practicum as a student, you are covered by UBC’s General Liability insurance

You need to ensure you either purchase insurance yourself or ensure that your employer has purchased personal malpractice insurance for you specifically.  If the pharmacy you are working for purchases insurance for you, the insurance policy must have your name on it and you should make sure to get a copy of the policy as well.  Remember that there are no guarantees that someone else’s insurance coverage will cover you.

As you know, insurance coverage is also a College requirement to register as a Temporary Limited Pharmacist or Limited Pharmacist. 

Click here to learn more about the special insurance coverage rate of $200 per year BCPhA is providing to support Temporary Limited Pharmacists and Limited Pharmacists.

How much does it cost to apply?

The fee to register as a temporary limited pharmacist is $28.00 for the Criminal Record Check done by the College. The College has waived the annual registration fee for all Temporary Registrants.

When can I apply to become a Temporary Limited Pharmacist?

You need to graduate from the UBC PharmD program this year and then you can submit your application. We recommend that you prepare your application now and once you graduate, submit the application immediately to ensure you remain registered with the College to practice.

How long does it take for the College to process my application?

According to the College, it could take up to two business days for processing. The College will send you a confirmation notice when your temporary registration is granted.

What job opportunities are there for me?

If you had a job lined up after graduation, we recommend you contact that pharmacy first to discuss your options as a Student Pharmacist and Temporary Limited Pharmacist.  Inform them that you can practice to the full scope of practice based on the College bylaws, but only under the supervision of a full pharmacist approved by the registration committee for that purpose.

Providing them with information so that they can plan and consider when it would be most appropriate for you to join the team. 

Tips on how to find a job in pharmacy

Whether you are looking for your first job or you want to find the right job in the industry, a cover letter and resume are your keys to helping you achieve your goals.

When seeking job opportunities, it is important that you have a well-written resume and cover letter.

  • Your resume is a marketing document that helps you sell your skills and abilities and should help you position yourself ahead of other job seekers. An example can be found here.
  • Your cover letter is a marketing document that introduces yourself and your personality to the organization. It should demonstrate why you belong within that organization, usually by showcasing how you align with the values of the organization. Your cover letter is a personalized letter between you and the hiring manager.

We have put together a job search guide to help you with starting your career.

BCPhA job search resources

The BCPhA Job Board is the number one resource for pharmacists in B.C. looking for work – and for pharmacies looking to recruit.

Our job board features listings all across B.C. for full-time, part-time and relief pharmacists, as well as pharmacy managers, technicians and assistants.

Pharmacists, limited pharmacists and pharmacy technicians can also post their resumes on our Hire a Pharmacist web page, showcasing their skills to employers throughout B.C., as well as sharpen their resume and cover letter with our online resume resources.

Thank you for stepping up

Thank you for stepping up to help during this pandemic.

We know how much work every pharmacist is putting in to make sure patients are supported during the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to advocate for members’ needs during this time, and we hear from many of you about the strains facing the pharmacy right now – the lack of access to medications, communications with patients and prescribers and lack of personal protective equipment because of a worldwide shortage.

Since March 13, 2020, we have been publishing COVID-19 updates. All the materials that we have developed and have sent out to our members can be found here.