Seniors are the fastest growing demographic group in Canada. By 2030, the number of seniors will reach 9.6 million, representing close to one quarter of Canada’s population. This webinar sheds light on the hidden but common problem of elder abuse and isolation. Join Joanna Li, Regional Mentor, Vancouver, at the BC Association of Community Response Networks (BC CRN), to discuss the magnitude and impact of elder abuse; how pharmacists and team members can spot risk factors; what to do when something does not feel right, and the practical tools and resources that pharmacies can use to support older adults in the community.
After participating in this webinar, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the magnitude and impacts of social isolation and loneliness, and recognize the signs of abuse and neglect, in seniors.
- Understand the role of pharmacists and team members in awareness and prevention of senior abuse, neglect, and self-neglect.
- Address challenges and barriers when identifying and supporting vulnerable and/or isolated seniors in the community.
- Discuss simple and effective strategies that can be integrated into existing day-to-day pharmacy practices/services to support seniors.
- Review local outreach resources and learn when and how to respectfully refer individuals to help.
About the Speaker: Joanna Li
Joanna Li [pronounced LEE] is the Vancouver regional mentor at BC Association of Community Response Networks (BC CRN). She works with and supports the development and activities of local Community Response Networks (CRNs) in creating a coordinated response to and raising awareness about adult abuse, neglect and self-neglect. Joanna acknowledges that she is an uninvited guest living and working on the unceded traditional lands of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
This program is non-accredited. Total learning hours is estimated at 1.0 hours.
Participants will receive a letter of participation after completion of the survey at the end of the webinar.
This event is complimentary to members. The fee for non-members is $50.
Registration closes an hour prior to the start of the webinar, at 5:00 PM. On the day of the webinar, you will receive a link to the webinar by email. The email will come from email@example.com and could be in your junk folder.
Please Note: A BCPhA account is required to register for this event. If you do not have a login account or if you are unsure if you have a login, please fill out the Account Creation Form and a member of the BCPhA team will contact you. Accounts can be created free of charge with valid College registration.