The 2020 Pharmacy Excellence Awards will be presented at the BC Pharmacy Association Awards Gala on Friday, May 22, 2020 in Whistler. These awards are given annually to celebrate the success of individuals who have contributed to the advancement of pharmacy in B.C.
Nominate a pharmacist for an award by Feb. 18, 2020
The nomination process for the 2020 Pharmacy Excellence Awards has opened!
If you are a patient or member of the public and wish to nominate a pharmacist, please fill out this form and return the form to the BC Pharmacy Association via fax, mail or e-mail.
If you are a pharmacist or health-care worker wishing to nominate a colleague, please fill out this form and return the form to the BC Pharmacy Association via fax, mail or e-mail.
The BC Pharmacy Excellence Awards will be presented at the BC Pharmacy Annual Conference Awards Gala. For more information, please click here.
If you are only looking to attend the Awards Gala to celebrate this year’s winners, tickets are $100 plus GST for members and $150 plus GST for non-members.
Examples from Past Submissions
* Names have been changed for privacy reasons.
I met Jody in October 2018 prior to embarking on a trip to Papau New Guinea. As you are aware, travellers should take health precautions before travelling to this country, but I wasn't too worried about it at the time. Until I met Jody! This was my first experience meeting a pharmacist who specializes in travel medicine. Jody was so prepared it blew me away. She explained the types of threats I could run into and provided multiple options for preventative care, in addition to clear instructions for what I should be aware of prior, during and after my trip. She even checked up with me a few weeks after I got back! I have absolute faith I am in good hands. - Ronald, a patient
I am one who seeks as much information as possible when it comes to pharmaceutical products. Blake is well-informed and up-to-date on all the newest pharmaceuticals. Additionally, he also demonstrates compassion. Eleven years ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to take a multitude of medications and had to endure years of side effects from chemotherapy. Blake always made himself available to support me in my personal choices. I would, and have, recommended Blake to family, friends and colleagues because of his expertise, knowledge, compassion and commitment to personal patient care. - Jaden, a physician and patient
Many of Mary's patients are living with chronic and complex conditions, including HIV/AIDS, substance use and mental health disorders, in addition to social challenges and marginalization, and require a truly interdisciplinary approach to optimize their health and wellness. Mary exemplifies the principles of culturally-safe, equity-informed, patient-centred care, and does not hesitate to act as an advocate for her patients when they experience challenges or barriers to accessing services, while maintaining positive relationships with all partners in their care. - Eric, a physician and colleague
Winners are selected in the following categories:
- Excellence in Patient Care Award: This award is presented to a pharmacist who has demonstrated ongoing excellence in patient care in their professional practice.
- Ben Gant Innovative Practice Award: This award is presented to a pharmacist who has demonstrated significant innovation in their respective practice and/or the profession.
- Murray Dykeman Mentorship Award: This award recognizes a pharmacist who has demonstrated outstanding mentorship to those early in their pharmacy career.
- Pharmacy Leadership Award: This award recognizes a pharmacist who has demonstrated commitment to leading the profession and its people forward and has made significant contributions to the profession of pharmacy.
- Collaborative Care Award: This award recognizes a pharmacist who has worked to create strong collaboration with other health-care providers. In doing so, they have promoting the value of pharmacists and have successfully advocated for the role of pharmacists in the primary health-care team.
- New Practitioner Award: This award recognizes a pharmacist within their first five years of practice. The nominee has demonstrated impact and commitment to the pharmacy profession by advancing their practice.
- Bowl of Hygeia Award: A pharmacist with an outstanding record of public and community service.
- Friend of Pharmacy Award: A non-pharmacist who has worked with and promoted the value and role of pharmacists within the health-care team.
Zahir Jiwa (left), winner of the 2019 Murray Dykeman Mentorship Award, is presented his award by BC Pharmacy Association former president Alex Dar Santos at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Vancouver.
Frequently asked questions
- When will this year's nomination process open?
Nominations have opened for the 2020 awards!
- How do I complete/submit the nomination?
Download the PDF nomination package, fill out the information and email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 18, 2020 with the nominee's name in the subject line.
- Can I nominate myself?
- Can I nominate more than one person?
Yes. You can nominate as many individuals as you would like. You must submit a nomination package for each individual nominee.
- Can I nominate my partner/friend/family member?
Yes. You can nominate someone as long as they are a pharmacist and a member of the BC Pharmacy Association, except in the case of the Friend of Pharmacy Award, in which the individual does not have to be a member of the Association and must not be practicing pharmacist.
- Can I nominate someone I have nominated before?
Yes, absolutely. Often selecting a winner can be difficult as there are so many good nominations packages. Someone who may not have won in a previous year could win the next year. Please do resubmit your nomination packages from the previous year.
- What do the judges look for in a winning nomination package?
Judges are looking evidence that shows how a nominee has gone above and beyond their role as a pharmacist - from involvement in the community to excellence in patient care to advocating for the profession or mentoring young pharmacists. The winning nomination packages have multiple supporting letters, often from patients and other health-care team members (including pharmacy colleagues) community organizations, leaders, educators or researchers. For the Friend of Pharmacy Award, judges look for examples from more than one nominator, and typically these are from pharmacists.This could mean multiple pharmacists, pharmacy technicians or assistants, nurses, patients or other organizations.
- When will the awards be presented?
The awards will be presented during the BCPhA’s Award Gala Event in Vancouver on May 23, 2020.
- Are all awards given each year?
No. It depends on the number of a nominations and the quality of the submissions.
- Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you have questions regarding the awards or nomination process, please email email@example.com or contact Devyani Basoodetsing at (604) 269-2884.
Past award winners
- Low, Alan
- Kwong, Mona
- Silver, Andrea
- Jiwa, Zahir
- Yang, Felicia
- Tang, Irvin
- Sidhu, Sukh
- Van Wyk, Andre
- Lalani, Riaaz
- Kwan, Amy
- Baker, Joan
- Cridge, Jason
- Hamm, Cathie
- Leung, Stephanie
- Linaksita, Mario
- Lopez, Cyril
- Lu, Margaret
- Oxford, Tara
- Preston, Cindy