Pharmacist Health Coaching on Asthma Health
Together with Green Shield Canada (GSC), the BCPhA has launched a new asthma management program for beneficiaries of BCPhA’s group extended health care (EHC) plan. Pharmacists must successfully complete training through the Asthma Health Coaching Program to offer this service to patients.
Pharmacists will also be compensated for their services by GSC (only when the service is delivered to patients who meet the eligibility criteria as outlined below): $80 for the initial consultation and $30 for each follow-up, to a maximum of three follow-up consultations per year. The goal of this program is to empower patients diagnosed with asthma to take ownership and responsibility for their overall health and engage pharmacists to:
- Provide guidance and support to patients to achieve control of their asthma,
- Implement strategies that help improve patient adherence to asthma drug therapy,
- Offer effective coaching and follow-up to help patients adopt healthy lifestyle behaviors that will positively impact their overall health.
Who qualifies for this service?
This new service will be available for patients who meet the following criteria:
- Have extended health coverage through BCPhA’s group extended health care (EHC) plan (adjudicated by GSC),
- Self-declared or physician diagnosis of asthma,
- Are 6 years of age or older,
- Are treated with an asthma drug regimen that includes at least one qualifying drug from the categories below:
- Short Acting Inhaled Beta2-agonists
- Long Acting Inhaled Beta2-agonists
- Long Acting Muscarinic Antagonists
- Oral Beta2-agonists
- Inhaled Corticosteroids
- Combination Inhaled Corticosteroids and Long-acting Bronchodilators
The learner must complete the following:
- All six modules must be completed.
ii. Program Training, Procedures and Protocol
- Final assessment is completed and submitted online. You must score 70% or higher.
- The evaluation form must be completed and submitted. You will be notified by email of your results with instructions on how to obtain your certificate.
Thank you for your interest in the course. The course is currently being updated and undergoing reaccreditation.